Where in the world are we?

With this blog I hope to communicate where we are and the opportunities we have had in traveling across America and around the world.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

What if...? What then...?

During a recent walk I encountered an older man sitting on a bench, just watching the cars going by. That short moment of walking by, making eye contact, and smiling at him it made me think about a few things...and imagine these scenarios...

What if...that man is alone, just lost his mate, and his children live across the country. Oh they love him but feel bad they can't visit. Could I help him some how? Or what if that man is alone because 50 years ago he molested his neighbor's son and has just been released from prison, still in a half-way house; trying to overcome his past, on a limited income, with terrible memories of prison and a bitter spirit. What then? Would I still be willing to help him?

What if...when I went to my local gym, I met one of the new instructors, Claire, in the parking lot. As we chatted I noticed a cross necklace she was wearing, thinking I should invite her to our ladies Bible study. Since she was carrying a few items I helped her with the door. Later, as I was leaving I waived goodbye to Claire. She was talking with Alice at the reception counter. As I walked by I overheard their conversation, as they were so excited in planning their upcoming trip. As Alice was leaving they hugged and kissed goodbye. What then? Would I still want to invite Claire to the Bible study?

What if...I noticed an obese man at the local fast-food restaurant eating a hamburger, fries, soda; then went to get an ice cream cone. Would I smugly think he has no business eating like that. And then in a twist of circumstances two weeks later that same man is using the store's electric cart to do his shopping. Smugly I visualize him getting all kinds of junk food. Later I see him at the nearby checkout, chatting with the clerk. She is so excited to see him, asking him how he is doing. He explains how excited he is to get back to work as the doctor has cleared him to return. The rare disease he has made him very overweight, plus he had to consume many calories every day to keep healthy, but now he can start his weight loss, getting back to his former self. His cart is filled with fresh vegetables and fruit, low-fat milk, and other healthy items. What then? I'm not feeling so smug now, but rather humbled.

What if...the single mom screaming at her kids is really scared because her husband is deployed. Or is she coming off a night at the local strip club because that's the only way she can make a living? What then?

What if...the old lady going so slow out the door is worried about her sick husband at home. Or is she just a crabby old women who is just plain rude? What then?

What if... well you get the idea. Maybe what we observe of others is not the reality. But if the reality is what we observe are we going to treat people different? What then? Will we be rude and obnoxious? ignore them? talk about them instead of trying to help?

It all goes back to what we know is truth; love those around us and find ways to help others. Buy that old man a cup of coffee, invite the gym instructor to the Bible study, be kind to the old, crabby woman. Stop judging others, and make sure we are doing what our Savior taught us, to be the example he was to us. Let's pray that Jesus' light will shine through us so that others will be drawn to Him.

In Him,

Beth

Matthew 5:13-16
“Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."
The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment